Sunday, October 08, 2006

Day 3 - Cutting Out Panels

Today I was able to finally cut out the first plywood panels for my V12 sailboat. The name "V12" refers to the V-shaped hull (not like a flat-bottom boat) and the "12" refers to the boat's length (12 feet long). A flat-bottom boat is much easier to build but a V-shaped hull provides better stability in the water.

Because these panels are at least 12 feet long and the sheets of plywood are only 8 feet long, I had to devide the boat panels over two pieces of 1/4" plywood (see the first photo below).
After I cut these pieces out I glued the two pieces together with with a "butt block" and Gorilla Glue, which is a 100% waterproof polyurethane glue claiming to be "the strongest glue on planet earth". The butt blocks are 8" wide strips of plywood that are glued to the inside of the boat panels. I weighted down the butt blocks with concrete cinder blocks and let them cure overnight.

Click thumbnails to view large images

Before I started cutting out the plywood panels, I had to build two simple saw horses which I threw together with some scraps of wood in about 1 hour. They aren't super sturdy or strong, but they are good enough for what I needed. :)



~E

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I never knew that this was a dream of yours. It's very ambitious, but with the improvements you've made to your house, I doubt this'll be all that difficult for you. Pretty cool :)