Monday, October 23, 2006

Day 10 - Daggerboard Trunk

This is the day that I got to cut a hole in the bottom of my boat. This hole is for the daggerboard trunk to go into. After cutting out the 1.5" wide hole, I glued and screwed the daggerboard into place against the center seat support.

Then I whipped up a couple batches of sawdust puddy and finished off filling the remaining interior seams. While I was mixing up the second batch of epoxy, I accidentally flicked some resin & acetone onto my eye. I managed to close my eyes fast enough, but when I tried wiping it off my eyelid some managed to get into my eye. Luckily Janell was in the yard watering some plants so I ran up and quickly rinsed out my eye for a few minutes.

NOTE: Do NOT put acetone in your eyes!!!

I also added an extra support to the rear piece ("transom") since it had a slight bow to it, plus the plans recommended adding this support... I screwed it to a 2x4 to help keep it straight. Then I added the puddy around the transom. After the puddy had been applied, I attached a couple "one-by" strips to the top edge of the daggerboard trunk. This will add stability and also give me something to fasten the seat-top to.

Once I had finished all of the above, I decided to add wood filler to the outside of the boat seams to smooth it out before I add the fiberglass. I am getting really close to the fiberglassing process!


~E

No comments: