Sunday, July 29, 2007

Building the Sail

Today I painted another coat of paint to the inside of the boat, made a few additions to the mast components, and built the sail! I'm so excited now! I could practically drop it in the water today and go sailing... but I do need to connect the rudder and finish getting the boat registered first.

To make the sail, I took a 12'x12' sheet of 3mil plastic and stretched it out on the garage floor, taping the corners down with duct tape. Then I measured out all the sides of the sail, and taped the rope into place. Then I folded the plastic over the rope and ran a layer of duct tape along the seam -- front and back.



Then I added reinforcement strips of duct tape within the sail area, and reinforced the corners. I'm quite impressed with how it turned out. It doesn't look bad at all, especially considering that it's just plastic and duct tape! .... :)

No comments: