Friday, May 25, 2007

Paint It White

This week I put on the base coat of white exterior latex paint. I read somewhere that exterior latex paint was as good as (or better than) oil-based paint for boats, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Once it dries it becomes as waterproof as the oil based paint, and will actually last longer because it won't dry out and crack like oil paint will.



This is Memorial Day weekend, so I might actually shoot for a maiden voyage...

Stay tuned.

P.S. This is the color-scheme we're thinking of painting our boat.

4 comments:

gil · jen said...

ahoy? it's looking good E!

Darron Boyd said...

Eric the book I mentioned to you is Alone Against The Atlantic. by Gerry Spiess. He sailed in a 10 foot boat in 1979 I think from VA to England. He eventually took the same boat across the Pacific.

The record has been broken with a 5'10" sail boat that looked more like a large barrel with a sail. I believe it was a Frenchman who accomplished this.

Darron

Eric said...

Thanks for the info, Darron.
I looked Gerry Spiess and found this interesting article about his big voyage in the small boat...

Eric said...

Here's another link about Gerry Spiess and his little boat.

http://marlinbree.com/work6.htm